Lock Picking 101
Lockpicking, Locksmithing, Locksport, Locks and Picks
       

Lock Picking 101
Login
Profile
FAQ
Members
Search
Lock Pick 
Shop


Information
FAQ & General Information
Locksmith Business
Pick-Fu - Do... Not try.
Got Questions?
General Chatter


Hardware
Automatic/Mechanical
Lockpicks - Manual
Locks
Eu Locks, Picks & Hardware
Buy - Sell - Trade

Advanced Locks
Advanced Locks Information
Combo, Electronic & Safes
Automotive Locks and Picks
High Security Locks
Advanced Lock Pick Tools


Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum
 

U CHANGE

Information on Locksmith training, certification, licensing, and operating a business.

Moderator: keysman

Re: U CHANGE

Postby cledry » Sun May 26, 2013 4:50 am

Evan wrote:
cledry wrote:Unfortunately these businesses that use U-change receive their keys from corporate and corporate will usually not let you change the lock to another type of lock. If they were left on the door by a previous tenant then by all means swap them out.


Many of the businesses in my area (mostly retail chains) which used to swear by U-Change have been switching over to instaKey SFIC... Same protection against key duplication, same ability to instantly rekey...

Advantages of InstaKey over U-Change: Multi-Unit employees like District?Regional Management and Loss Prevention can possess a master key rather than a large keyring of every U-Change key in field use...

Drawbacks of InstaKey: Once you use a step key, the control key used to install the cores won't work anymore and you would have to request another one through the end-user supply chain... Since some configurations of SFIC hardware require the core be removed from the housing in order to access a cylinder security screw for disassembly, an operable control key should be included in each step key set with the replacement keys...

Unless you are doing the initial install of InstaKey, it is basically just as difficult to deal with as a customer using U-Change...

~~ Evan


We have more calls to service problematic Falcon Instakeys than we ever had with U-Change. Personally I don't like either option.
Jim
cledry
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: U CHANGE

Postby Evan » Sun May 26, 2013 6:10 am

cledry wrote:We have more calls to service problematic Falcon Instakeys than we ever had with U-Change. Personally I don't like either option.


Oh, trust me I have destroyed quite a few of the InstaKey cores that have failed...

U-Change is a must more robustly built product for sure, you have to really want to mess it up to screw up a rekey with them... But they have a blatant and basic security design flaw and shouldn't be used without an alarm system also protecting the premises...

I merely noted that it seems like more retail chain stores have decided to migrate to a product that allows for master keys for higher ranking multi-unit employees...

~~ Evan
Evan
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: U CHANGE

Postby cledry » Mon May 27, 2013 8:00 am

Evan wrote:
cledry wrote:We have more calls to service problematic Falcon Instakeys than we ever had with U-Change. Personally I don't like either option.


Oh, trust me I have destroyed quite a few of the InstaKey cores that have failed...

U-Change is a must more robustly built product for sure, you have to really want to mess it up to screw up a rekey with them... But they have a blatant and basic security design flaw and shouldn't be used without an alarm system also protecting the premises...

I merely noted that it seems like more retail chain stores have decided to migrate to a product that allows for master keys for higher ranking multi-unit employees...

~~ Evan


OK, I misread it or read too much into it. I agree. I am seeing less UChange now.
Jim
cledry
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: U CHANGE

Postby Camron25 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

When you use the security system you get the more security but you can use the U change with you security system to increase the protection.I think now for the increase the protection security companies introduce the hidden alarm lock that will alert you when some one try to open the lock without key.
Camron
Camron25
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: U CHANGE

Postby bjornnrojb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 am

dll932 wrote:Self-change locks sound good in principle but (aside from interchangeable core) suck in practice. Too easy to screw up while changing and too much tendency to fail. Schlage dropped theirs because they were prone to failure (also unpickable).

Also I think there were patent issues brought to bear by Kwikset. They settled out of court but I think Schlage + keys stopped right after (and not a moment too soon). The one good thing for me about the finicky Schlage user-rekeyable locks was that they failed so often, I think it instilled in many consumers an idea that locksmiths are worth the money to install a good serviceable lock.
bjornnrojb
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: U CHANGE

Postby Evan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

dll932 wrote:Self-change locks sound good in principle but (aside from interchangeable core) suck in practice. Too easy to screw up while changing and too much tendency to fail. Schlage dropped theirs because they were prone to failure (also unpickable).


It sounds like you have never seen a break down of a U-Change cylinder, unlike the sidebar based consumer versions made by Kwikset and Schlage you really have to do something to a U-Change to screw it up...

They aren't super secure by any means but they do provide a measure of key control which is what most of the retail chains which have adopted its use are looking for...

bjornnrojb wrote:Also I think there were patent issues brought to bear by Kwikset. They settled out of court but I think Schlage + keys stopped right after (and not a moment too soon). The one good thing for me about the finicky Schlage user-rekeyable locks was that they failed so often, I think it instilled in many consumers an idea that locksmiths are worth the money to install a good serviceable lock.


Totally different technology compared to a U-Change... No patent issues between U-Change and the Black & Decker Smart Key system exist...

~~ Evan
Evan
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: U CHANGE Blanks???

Postby designedbylucas » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:08 am

Hello;

Perhaps some one can give me a tip on this topic; my step daughter managed to successfully loose the key to her job (of course) she works at a retail store and they have the U Change 5 cylinder. They have 2 other keys but to avoid contacting corporate which may most likely result in her loosing her job we have been trying to see if there is any other blank that can be used to make the copy? I saw some blanks from "Medco Keys" and I was wondering if I used one of these to create the copy? We have 2 copies already but we need to duplicate a third one.

Any suggestions? ideas?
designedbylucas
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 am

Re: U CHANGE Blanks???

Postby Hachronn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 am

designedbylucas wrote:Hello;

Perhaps some one can give me a tip on this topic; my step daughter managed to successfully loose the key to her job (of course) she works at a retail store and they have the U Change 5 cylinder. They have 2 other keys but to avoid contacting corporate which may most likely result in her loosing her job we have been trying to see if there is any other blank that can be used to make the copy? I saw some blanks from "Medco Keys" and I was wondering if I used one of these to create the copy? We have 2 copies already but we need to duplicate a third one.

Any suggestions? ideas?


Hi designedbylucas, thanks for stopping buy. Let me speak for the rest of the group when I say, we're sorry that you mistook our hobby lock picking forum for a source of information regarding how to circumvent corporate security measures.

My suggestion is that you take this opportunity to teach your daughter a lesson in courage and responsibility. It's time for her to suck it up and let the parties responsible for physical security know that one of their keys is floating around unaccounted for in the wild. They have a right to know that their security has been compromised, as well as a need to take appropriate action to protect their property.

I don't know if the loss of a key is sufficient for termination, but I guarantee that I would fire her ass if I found out that she attempted to conceal that loss. The fact that you believe that loss is that serious is just one more reason why they need to know.
-- I have a tendency to write hasp when I mean shackle. It's a bad habit, but I'm working on it one day at a time.

If you find my insistence that you pay me to do something unreasonable, you probably shouldn't be bothering me at work.
Hachronn
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 am
Location: Southern California

Re: U CHANGE Blanks???

Postby Evan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 am

designedbylucas wrote:Hello;

Perhaps some one can give me a tip on this topic; my step daughter managed to successfully loose the key to her job (of course) she works at a retail store and they have the U Change 5 cylinder. They have 2 other keys but to avoid contacting corporate which may most likely result in her loosing her job we have been trying to see if there is any other blank that can be used to make the copy? I saw some blanks from "Medco Keys" and I was wondering if I used one of these to create the copy? We have 2 copies already but we need to duplicate a third one.

Any suggestions? ideas?


Every single retail location that uses U-Change has a sealed envelope in their safe (or other secured location like a locked file cabinet) containing a new set of keys and a change tool for use if an employee is terminated and doesn't surrender keys, or a key is lost or broken...

It is considered normal wear and tear for a key to become bent or broken during use... Your step daughter will get into more trouble attempting to conceal the loss and replace the key rather than admitting to it and moving on with life...

~~ Evan
Evan
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 am
Location: Rhode Island

Previous

Return to Locksmith Business Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests