This is my first post here.
Through years I have interested in lockpicking (as hobby only
) so not complete "newbie".
Already I have done some dozen of picks out saw blades and some of sweeper bristles but still
none of piano wire.
Yesterday I have taken look at topic about "bogotas" and it inspired me to try to make one wave rake
out of 1mm thick high tensile piano wire which I have found hanging on nail in garage wall.
So ..grabbed some shaky pliers , good wire cutters (this piano wire is very hard so it will make dent at cheaper wire cutter-pliers)
+ one old smaller adjustable wrench (a.k.a."french wrench") - come handy as little wire holder while bending.
After ten minutes of bending , a bit of filing , a bit of fine sand paper work I came out with this:
Wave rake and tension wrench
..tested it immediately and opened (within 30-40 seconds of raking max.) 4 of 5 cylinder locks on doors around house/ garage.
I did not took pictures of process of making first one so here is second:
1. Find , buy.. some ~1mm high tensile wire (piano wire) (:) ..yes fingertips a bit smudged -just in case)
2. Cut a bit of ~140mm
3. Start bending ( ~30mm from one end )
4. Be carefull with pliers , wire is hard and pliers slip easily .. hehe
5. ..improvise a bit . I am using old adjustable wrench (little one) as wire holder
to help while bending with pliers.
6. Bending done..
- make "handle"
7. Cut exes of wire at the rake tip end , nice round out sharp cut end,... grind or file "sides" of rake to make it a bit flat and thinner, finish with fine sand paper, polish..
..just a bit of fine polishing required..
I use them with "too-much-coffe" jigling technique and works really nice on most 5pin cylinders I have find around.
To be honest first one appears to be better for most cylinders. It is with a bit shallower "waves" (only top-end wave is a bit deeper and a bit more "pointy" )
But second one with "even" and a bit deeper waves have opened some cylinders as first (a bit harder - longer work) but than easily opened lock which I cannot open with first prototype..
I am planing to make five different wave shapes (all with 3 waves but bit different depth patterns) and than "color code" them by covering "handles" with thermo-shrinking wire insulating (I do not know good name in english for that.. I hope you understand what I mean)
..That is it ..for now