Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum

which way do you turn the lock?

Having read the FAQ's you are still unfulfilled and seek more enlightenment, so post your general questions here.

Moderators: digital_blue, zeke79

which way do you turn the lock?

Postby Wiplash » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 am

Is there a fool proof method for determining which way to turn the lock. I have come upon some locks the need to be turned clockwise and then there are some that need to be turned counterclockwise
Wiplash

Re: which way do you turn the lock?

Postby Olson Burry » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:00 am

In my experience, padlocks open clockwise.

What you can do sometimes to tell, is to lift all the pins up, using the flat edge of an upside-down pick say, apply tension and remove the pick. When you remove the tension you should hear some pins drop down if you're going the right way.

The other thing I heard as a general rule of thumb which I could be wrong about, is that you turn away from the side of the door jamb the lock is installed on. So I suppose this means if the lock is on the left side of the door, you're looking to go clockwise, and on the right, anti-clockwise.

Either way, sometimes your regular door locks will pick much easier one way than the other, and you could use a plug spinner if it happens to be the wrong direction, however most of the UK rim lock mechanisms I've come across will actually function both ways anyway.
Olson Burry

Postby jimb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 am

Olson Burry wrote:The other thing I heard as a general rule of thumb which I could be wrong about, is that you turn away from the side of the door jamb the lock is installed on. So I suppose this means if the lock is on the left side of the door, you're looking to go clockwise, and on the right, anti-clockwise.

This works with dead bolts almost always, but with a kik it could go either way.
jimb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby poor paperclip picker » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:03 am

I also found out that some wafer locks I have only go one way, and to pick it you just have to try each way. But I found with some expirience you can tell when you start picking the way that the cylinder won't turn... If that makes any sense.
poor paperclip picker

Postby thedominator7a » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 pm

A cheap alternative to a plug spinner would be to use a decent sized rubber band and a nail grinded at the end to fit the lock. Attach another nail on the non grinded side with the rubber band and you have a simple home made plug spinner. The rubber band has to be wrapped around the nail after you attached the top (handle.) This should form a T shape.
thedominator7a

Postby bushd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 pm

At the university I attend when using my key I've noticed that the correct turn is away from the side the lock is on. For instance: Lock is on the left side then correct is clockwise where if it were on the right side correct is counterclockwise. Now, these are also best locks that also have it set to allow for unlocking via key turn the opposite way. This certainly won't be the common case but I'd use this if I didn't have a custom or purchased turner.
Rawr.
bushd

Postby yono » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:57 pm

for me, except for desk locks, and car door locks,experience and familiarization is the key to determine which way is the correct turn of the lock (in lockPicking works) here are some in my knowledge.
*most mortise lock cylinders turn clockwise to open.
*for Double profile cylinders, if it is installed upside down, the turn is counterclockwise.
**but then it is a process of constant learning. sometimes i make some misjudment on my direction in turning the lock cylinder when picking. and i just simply solve it with my plug spinner. regards.
hi everyone, im glad to be a member of this very interesting community, our community of locksmiths. i hope i could help others, within my ability, and hope you can help me too, God bless us all fellow locksmiths.
yono

Return to Got Questions - Ask Hobby Lockpicking Questions Here