Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum

Do pick guns work or waste of money?

Having read the FAQ's you are still unfulfilled and seek more enlightenment, so post your general questions here.

Moderators: digital_blue, zeke79

Do pick guns work or waste of money?

Postby Antique key maker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 am

It seems that most people say they can hardly get anything opened with a pick gun. What is the deal, do they work or is it a waste of money? Is it something you have to learn, and once learned it will open up many locks with ease?
Antique key maker

Re: Do pick guns work or waste of money?

Postby globallockytoo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:46 am

I use my pick gun all the time. If the lock doesnt pick quickly with it, I resort to a short hook.

But Yes, they do work and are an integral part of a locksmiths tool kit.
One One was a race horse, one one won one race, one two was a racehorse, one two won one too.

Disclaimer: Do not pull tag off mattress. Not responsible for legal advice while laughing.
Bilock - The Original True Bump Proof Pin Tumbler System!
globallockytoo

Postby Eyes_Only » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 am

Whenever I ran into a difficult lock to pick on a lockout call that just wouldn't open I usually SPP's a couple of the pin stacks and then wailed on the rest with the pick gun and that always did the trick.

But there are apparently some quality differences in pick guns. My favorite pick gun is the one called the E-Z Pick Gun. I also once had a Ilco pick gun and it couldn't open anything, and compared to the E-Z gun it was crap. Good thing it was a free one from the FB course. I ended up just giving it to a co-worker as a "gift" and he couldn't get it to work either. He ended up trading that gun for a couple tickets to one of those "massage" parlors with the happy ending.
If a lock is a puzzle, then its key is the complete picture
Eyes_Only
Supporter
Supporter

Postby globallockytoo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am

I have used a manual pick gun with no success, then tried SPP'in the same lock with no success....then got out the electric pick gun and it popped in a second or two.

I believe that using a pick gun, whether electronic or manual is 80% luck and 20% skill.
One One was a race horse, one one won one race, one two was a racehorse, one two won one too.

Disclaimer: Do not pull tag off mattress. Not responsible for legal advice while laughing.
Bilock - The Original True Bump Proof Pin Tumbler System!
globallockytoo

Postby aussielocky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am

I've found the HPC to be a good pick gun. I've opened locks in seconds with a pick gun that would not SPP for me at all (usually with zeros behind 7's etc at the end of the keyway and other fun combinations. All fell to the pick gun quickly, but there is little skill involved, some technique for sure, but not much skill.
aussielocky

Postby Josh K » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 am

Couldn't open anything with mine, so I put it up for sale. :lol:

By nothing I mean I tried it on every single lock, including ten or so different cylinders, and couldn't get a single one open.
Josh K

Postby lock2006 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

Antique key maker wrote:It seems that most people say they can hardly get anything opened with a pick gun. What is the deal, do they work or is it a waste of money? Is it something you have to learn, and once learned it will open up many locks with ease?

I do have the manual pick gun and works on many locks
but not all locks ,i don't have the electric one and not plannig to get one
the only thing i don't like about this manual pick gun
is the noise get annoying
i found this videos hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBxqKnA ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRVTU-r ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOVTF5- ... re=related
lock2006

Postby Rickthepick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

i rarely use my pickgun now.

Its handly to have onboard as a locksmith as sometimes the vibrating can open a lock with a fiendish pin combo (high back pins with low fronts) that you cant physically pick in good time.

id go for a klom gun as theyre relatively cheap
ImageImageImage
Rickthepick

Postby loki-aka » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 pm

It is always good to have as many backup plans as possible. Murphy's Law is plenty abound when the customer is
looking over your shoulder.
loki-aka

Postby richardhockley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 am

i have a southord pick gun. it was pretty easy to use but I'd agree there is no skill required. When all else fails I guess. I hear good things about the electric guns but never used one myself
richardhockley

Postby Lorek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:13 am

I usually use a pick gun after raking doesn't work. Then... if that still doesn't work I pick it a column at a time. Usually between the rake and gun, 80% of my lockouts are covered relatively quickly. There is the occasional stubborn ones though.
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
Lorek

Postby jdislandlock » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:49 am

i find i can quickly open schlage weiser kwikset with pick guns, and it is deffinatly a tool a locksmith should have in my opinion....
i have had problems picking locks before and ill bring the gun out and open it in seconds.
i prefer using manual picks obviously though, but if im trying to open a house quickly for a customer, lots of the time, its just a quick entry method.
jdislandlock

Postby Antique key maker » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 am

I'm not to familar with security pins, but will a pick gun work newer locks that have security pins.

I also heard master locks are now bump proof, will a pick gun with with newer master locks?

Can someone explain the effectiveness of security pins and bump proof locks using a pick gun.

Will a pick gun work with many pad locks?
Antique key maker

Postby Eyes_Only » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 am

I've used a pick gun on a few Schlage locks with spool drivers and although it takes a little longer it can still open it. You may not get the same success rate as you would with a lock like a standard 5-pin Kwikset but it can still work.

And as far as padlocks, it would depend on how small the keyway is i suppose. If the keyway is really small and restrictive the pick needle may not have enough room to travel vertically like on a M1 Master Lock keyway.
If a lock is a puzzle, then its key is the complete picture
Eyes_Only
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Got Questions - Ask Hobby Lockpicking Questions Here