Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum

Brinks 4-pin 30mm padlock disassembly

Information about locks themselves. Questions, tips and lock diagram information should be posted here.

Moderators: zeke79, keysman

Brinks 4-pin 30mm padlock disassembly

Postby Josh66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:17 am

OK, so I'm new at this - I was finally able to open a No.1 Master Lock... All of the deadbolts I have on hand are too easy. While I was doing some shopping at Walmart today, I decide to check out their locks.

I wanted a padlock to practice on that would be easier than the No.1 Master Lock, and a deadbolt that would be harder than what I have now.

I ended up just getting a small Brinks padlock. I don't know the model number - the packaging says "161-30001", but google returned zero results on that.

It is similar to this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinks-Brass- ... k/16783313

Details are:
4 "pick resistant" pins
1-3/16" Solid Brass (shackle is hardened steel)

Anyway ... I picked it in about 5 seconds on my first try... Now, I want to see these "pick resistant" pins... Can I disassemble it without destroying it? There is a small hole on the bottom near the plug. What is that for? I assume it is somehow used to remove the plug, but I haven't figured out how.

I tried searching, but without knowing what you're looking for it's kinda hard to know the right search terms... My searches didn't prove useful.
Josh66

Re: Brinks 4-pin 30mm padlock disassembly

Postby Josh66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am

I had two No.1 Master Locks keyed the same. I took one of them apart so I could examine the pins. I just want to do the same with this Brinks padlock... I only bought one, so I would prefer to not destroy it (like I did with the No.1). Since the lock is solid, there has to be a way to remove the plug without destroying the lock... I have the keys, of course...

I've tried inserting a pin in the small hole and turning the key (I thought that might work), but it didn't do anything. The key can only turn clockwise...

All I want to do is pull the plug (is that even the right term?) out so I can examine the pins. I have read about serrated pins, and other security features - I did not expect to be able to pick this lock on my first try. I want to see what is inside of it...

Please, correct me if I am wrong on any terminology. I would hate to keep saying the wrong thing and sound like an idiot, lol.

Any help with accessing the pins is very much appreciated.
Josh66

Postby averagejoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 am

The side with the pin stack will have either small dots or a large strip of brass covering the pin stacks. You can either use a drill to make a spot to pry up the strip or drill out the holes.

A method that I have heard of that may work is using a torch to heat up just that spot then quickly dunking it into very cold water could make the strip/dots pop right out.
averagejoe

Postby averagejoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am

There is actually a guide how to do this just a few posts above yours.

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10665
averagejoe

Postby Josh66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:53 am

Awesome. Thanks, guys!

That is a little more 'destruction' than I was hoping for - I'll have to buy a second one to take apart.

What is that small hole in the base for, anyway?
Josh66

Postby averagejoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:25 am

That is a drain hole in case liquid gets into it.
averagejoe

Postby Josh66 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 am

That makes sense. I thought there might be more to it than that. (The packaging did have an 'all weather' logo on it.)

I always just though the holes in the bottom of some locks were more than just a drain hole...

I can see the plugs in the side of the case now that I know what to look for. How tight are they usually? If I drilled it a few sizes smaller than the plug, would I be able to pull it out with an EZ-Out or something? Or is it better to just drill it the full diameter (looks like a #30 drill (about 1/8")? I'm assuming that if I can get them out without messing the holes up too much, I should be able to tap them and put set screws in ... does that sound doable?

Just trying to make sure I understand this right - if I drill out those plugs, remove the springs and pins, the cylinder should just drop right out?
Josh66

Postby averagejoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:24 am

Yes, you can drill them smaller and should be able to pull them out. Then once the pins are out the plug should just fall out.

If you have a tap and die set you can tap the holes and put little set screws in the holes to make it easily repinnable.
averagejoe

Return to Locks