Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum

Disassembling Weiser Locks

Having read the FAQ's you are still unfulfilled and seek more enlightenment, so post your general questions here.

Moderators: digital_blue, zeke79

Postby sdescar » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:30 am

I am a new member. I am interested in lockpicking but first I have another problem. I have got the basics down to rekey a lock and key it to a master key. I can take kwikset and schlage deadbolts apart. I can also take apart a kwikset entry knob lock. I have come to a lock I am having trouble with it. It is a Weiser entry knob lock. The knob on the inside is one you have to push in and twist. I am trying to get the keyway out of it. If anyone has any suggestions please respond.
sdescar

WEISER

Postby gaplock » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:42 pm

Weiser knobs are funny little things, what you have to do is pull the tailpiece out and hold it there while rotating the key. You will get to a point where the faceplate drops off wiht the cylinder in it.
"American by birth, Tradesman by choice"
gaplock

Postby sdescar » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:19 pm

Thanks for the tip. There is only one problem though. I don't have any keys to the locks. I took them off of the doors, but I do not have any keys. Is there a way to do it besides picking it (which I am also trying to learn how to do.)? :?
sdescar

weiser

Postby gaplock » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:28 am

nope gotta pick it. pick it then pull tailpiece and rotate the plug more till it falls out.
"American by birth, Tradesman by choice"
gaplock

Picking that weiser lock

Postby sdescar » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:36 am

Man, I think taking the lock apart won't be that big of deal if I could ever get it picked. Each time I try to pick it I always get about on average three pins set. Once I got four but NEVER all five. Any tips or hints? I am trying to scrub it and rake it. Maybe I am using too much tension. I don't know. Any tips? :?: :cry:
sdescar

Postby Chucklz » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:49 am

Weisers are usually pretty easy to pick. They really are some of the worst locks, qualitywise I have ever seen. Sometimes their crappiness makes them a bit harder to pick..... but thats almost definately not your problem. Too much tension is almost definately contributing to your sucess rate, or lack thereof. Really ease off it. Just the weight of your finger by itself may be more than enough.
Chucklz

Postby glasskey » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:35 am

I have a little different situation with a weiser deadbolt.. I took it apart and found the inners (pins+ springs) for a 5 pin.. but there are 6 holes. is this common?
Glasskey
(-_-) (+_+) (*_*) (!_!) (+.+) (*.*)
just like a key
were all different, were all the same
glasskey

Postby digital_blue » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:29 am

Glasskey: Yes, pinned 5 and drilled for 6 is fairlyt common.

sdescar: You think it's tricky now. Wait until you finally do get the thing picked, pull the tailpiece out, start to rotate, and find out you picked it in the wrong direction. :) If memory serves you need to turn it counter-clockwise, but every time I sit down to do it I doubt myself. I know it on wiesers it only work one way though. Maybe somebody can confirm or deny that it is CCW.

db
digital_blue
Site Admin

Return to Got Questions - Ask Hobby Lockpicking Questions Here