Locksport Groups
Locksport Local
Chapter President's Office
Locksport Board Room

Featured Picks
Locksmiths
Locksmiths Forum

how do i take a kwikset lock apart ?

Information about locks themselves. Questions, tips and lock diagram information should be posted here.

Moderators: zeke79, keysman

how do i take a kwikset lock apart ?

Postby pickersRus » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:04 am

I guess this is kind of a stupid question but you should all be expecting that from me by now. I am trying to rekey the locks to my house so that one key fits all locks (key in knob and deadbolt). I have the instructions for taking the lock apart that came with me locksmith course but for the life of me I can not figure out what I am supposed to do. Here is a brief rundown of the instructions I am given. If anyone can better describe or explain what is going on please help me.
(1)remove spindle - rotate spindle until tab on spindle lines up with stem ( I UNDERSTAND THIS)
(2)insert cylinder removal tool between lower stem and spring clip ( I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS , WHAT EXACTLY AND WHERE EXACTLY ?)
(3)with clip pushed up turn lock upside down and spindle will fall out ( WHAT CLIP IS BEING REFERED TO ? )
(4) release cylinder ( FROM THIS POINT ON I UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO)

:roll:
Jeanas Skeleton key
pickersRus

Re: how do i take a kwikset lock apart ?

Postby logosys » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:12 am

pickersRus wrote:I guess this is kind of a stupid question but you should all be expecting that from me by now. I am trying to rekey the locks to my house so that one key fits all locks (key in knob and deadbolt). I have the instructions for taking the lock apart that came with me locksmith course but for the life of me I can not figure out what I am supposed to do. Here is a brief rundown of the instructions I am given. If anyone can better describe or explain what is going on please help me.
(1)remove spindle - rotate spindle until tab on spindle lines up with stem ( I UNDERSTAND THIS)
(2)insert cylinder removal tool between lower stem and spring clip ( I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS , WHAT EXACTLY AND WHERE EXACTLY ?)
(3)with clip pushed up turn lock upside down and spindle will fall out ( WHAT CLIP IS BEING REFERED TO ? )
(4) release cylinder ( FROM THIS POINT ON I UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO)

:roll:

On a Kwikset, there is a retaining clip (black thing that looks like a 'c' It has a leg-thing that extends directly behind the plug.) that you have to remove. Just get a screwdriver and pry it off. Next, insert the key (or at least have the plug rotated) and push the plug out with the follower.
-Logo

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
--Thomas Jefferson
logosys

Postby MrB » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:20 am

It is very hard to explain without pictures.

With the knob face down on a table top and the spindle pointing straight up, you have to position the cylinder removal tool horizontal and level with the table top, with the thin edge downwards (flat sides outwards). Now you have to insert the tool into the gap where you see the tab in step one. Twist the tool through 90 degreees and it will lever a spring tab towards the spindle. This will allow the spindle to be lifted out of the knob.

(I am relating this from memory without a knob in front of me, so forgive me if my recollection is not quite right.)
MrB

Postby MrB » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 am

Sorry, not a perfect choice of words there. A second try:

With the knob face down on a table top and the spindle pointing straight up, you have to position the cylinder removal tool horizontally with the thin edge downwards (flat sides outwards). Now you have to insert the tool into the gap where you see the tab in step one. Twist the tool through 90 degreees and it will lever a spring tab towards the spindle. This will allow the spindle to be lifted out of the knob.
MrB

Postby Chucklz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:27 am

Chucklz

Postby pickersRus » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:35 am

Chucklz , Thanks a million for the link. I knew i could count on you my fellow pickers. I hated to ask to be babied thru this but I was at a total loss. Your explanations was much better than this lousy description given in my textbook (which I paid a lot of money for :x ) . All of you are a great source of inspiration and knowledge which just goes to prove that pickers are great people.
Jeanas Skeleton key
pickersRus

I was there so not long ago...

Postby locksmistress » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:29 am

Ooooh, I sympathize! I spent the better part of 2 weeks off and on messing with a Kwikset lock. I actually printed all the instructions from the website, had the tool and could not get it open. (Friends place, non-urgent re-key, near bar, I was there often anyway)

They have changed the names - depending on when you bought it - what used to be Kwikset Titan is now Titan UltraMax security or something like that in the instructions.

At any rate, in the section I was reading, the housing apparently comes out without using the key. I spent an age getting ticked off and highly embarassed following the pictures - I think it was step 8 - and repeating the same motion that was supposed to result in: "the core falling out in your hand".

They specifically tell you things like 'this is the trickiest part' and 'keep your hand under the knob because the core will just leap out when you get it right' (paraphrase).

Even with force via concrete (I was short on hammers) there wasn't anything "falling out". Turns out I should have been consulting the other 'Max' chapter where step 8 included turning the key.

Once I had the correct chapter in hand as well as the key the core did in fact leap out of the handle and take off merrily across the concrete floor. Gosh they bounce well. And I have to admit, I got it back together and it actually still works.

So I figure you've got it all taken care of by now - but I still wanted to commiserate.
locksmistress

Postby pickersRus » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:19 pm

locksmistress........................ :? . what else can i say. LOL , yeah I finally got the blasted thing apart but the funny part is I have no idea how I did it. I think I was actually pushing up on the coiled spring when the spindle part finally came out. But I am a stubborn person and I refuse to give up until I divide and conquer so to speak. Once again thanks to all who have given input.
Jeanas Skeleton key
pickersRus

Postby Raccoon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Chucklz wrote:http://trade.kwikset.com/website/images/Rekeying%20Manual.pdf

This link has moved to:

http://www.kwikset.com/Trade/Literature ... Manual.pdf

UPDATED LINK : (07/01/2013)
http://www.imlss.com/images/pdf/kwikset ... Manual.pdf
You are in a maze of twisting little passages, all different.

I need you to write something for me.
Raccoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: how do i take a kwikset lock apart ?

Postby clark24 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for the update wildcard, this point may help others. The large hollow screws with interior threads will have a slot in them so a standard screwdriver can be used to remove them.
clark24

Return to Locks